It's Your Job to Dig Deep into the Past, Now You Can See Into the Future...
Criminal Record Checks must be made on all workers or employees but since only 5% of child molestations result in convictions, we find few. The Diana Screen adds another really valuable dimension – an assessment of whether an adult recognizes the sexual boundaries that should exist between them and a child.
Youth serving organizations, agencies and corporations that use The Diana Screen ® demonstrate their commitment to trying to acheive the goal set by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in its publication, Preventing Child Sexual Abuse Within Youth-serving Organizations:
"To select the best possible people for staff and volunteer positions and to screen out individuals who have sexually abused youth or are at risk to abuse".
Do you hire people who will work with and/or around children? You'll do the usual background check and criminal history but you might as well do nothing. Shocking? Not really. Most victims of childhood sexual abuse never report their abuse. Their abusers are never charged and are employed or volunteer and continue their reign of terror on the children, in the work or volunteer environment you are providing.
The Diana Screen®: An innovation far beyond criminal background checks, it is an easy to use, risk management tool that will help you keep your agency's children safe from sexual abuse. Behind The Diana Screen® are 18 years of research, 6 NIMH grants, and 2 pilot studies with the Episcopal Church Pension Fund and The Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
The Diana Screen® is a risk management tool that reduces the risk that your group's children will be molested and reduces the risk that your group will face sexual misconduct lawsuits.
It does this by:
- Identifies men and women most likely to violate sexual boundaries with children and teens.
- Quickly and inexpensively asks the child safety questions that staff do not have the experience to ask.
- Is science based.
- Screening out adults who have already molested a child.
- Acting as a deterrent, fewer child molesters will apply knowing that it is part of the screening process.
- Is easy to use and fast - 30 minute test-taker time, 5 minutes staff time, 4th grade reading level, pass/fail results immediate, 120 questions answered on a computer.
DID YOU KNOW?
That 6% of adults have molested a child.
How Does The Diana Screen® Protect Children?
The Diana Screen® protects children by screening out men and women who are a sexual risk. More than 6% of all adults will have already sexually abused a child before they come in your door.
The Diana Screen® also screens for men and women who have beliefs about the rights of adults to have sexual contact with children and teens. They WILL NOT protect the children from other adults or older children who may be sexually inappropriate with them. And, they WILL NOT protect the organization from these sexually inappropriate adults and older children.
Just as the screen shows us the pool of candidates who are inappropriate, The Diana Screen® has the ability to screen for people who are a LOW risk to sexually abuse a child. These adults also show that they CAN protect children against other adults who might be sexual risks. These low-risk applicants make up a superior hiring pool.
The people who pass The Diana Screen® - nearly 90% - give an organization an excellent group from which to hire.
A human resources vice-president at one of the national after-school activities groups said, "Our new hires from this pool of people who have passed The Diana Screen® have presented the current staff with fewer disciplinary problems than the staff who have never taken The Diana Screen® and we now have fewer "soft misconduct" complaints of questionable behavior with kids and fewer accusations of inappropriate touching." The current staff's job just got easier.
Criminal background checks are good for finding convictions. However, 95% of people who molested children have never been reported to the police. The Diana Screen® helps you identify the people who criminal background checks miss.
- For the first time, you can screen out men and women who have already sexually abused a child.
- For the first time, you have an easy and fast way to get answers to the questions your staff are unprepared to ask.
- For the first time, you can screen out adults whose core values do not include protecting children from sexual abuse by other adults and older children in your program. They are permission-givers.
- You create a better atmosphere for the children.
- You have a superior pool of people better qualified to work with children.
- You have parents reporting higher satisfaction with your program.
The Diana Screen® provides agencies, employers, and volunteer organizations the ability to identify those adults whose sexual boundaries pose an unacceptable risk to children entrusted to their care. Based upon 18 years of research by world renowned psychiatrist, Gene Abel, MD, is an essential part of any hiring or volunteer selection process in any organization involving children.
Current users of the program include:
- Boys & Girls Clubs
- Juvenile Justice Systems
- Foster Family Association
The Diana Screen® is recognized by Insurance Companies as a means to mitigate risk.
NAPBS Webinar - March 13, 2012